In our home, we love detox baths! Taking a weekly detox bath has become part of our natural detox routine with our three children to keep their bodies healthy and their immune systems strong.
Detox baths are amazing because they remove toxins (like viruses) from the body and provide powerful minerals (like sulphate and magnesium) that strengthen the immune system, reduce pain and inflammation, and help to relax the body and mind.
And, because detox baths are so relaxing they can also help your little ones fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer!
Aim for your little ones to be in the bath for about 40 minutes. The first 20 minutes are when the powerful detox happens, and the second 20 minutes are when the body is absorbing the beneficial minerals through the skin.
You can read this post to find out more about the powerful, healing benefits of each of the ingredients in these DIY detox bath bombs for kids.
While you can follow the recipes we have provided for detox baths for kids here, it is SO MUCH MORE FUN to take a detox bath with one of these homemade detox bath bombs for kids.
Our kids love to drop the bath bomb in the water and watch it fizz while it slowly dissolves.
Bath bombs are very popular right now, and come in lots of shapes, colors, and sizes. The problem with most of these commercial bath bombs is in the ingredients used to make them.
Corn starch made from GMO corn, artificial food coloring that can worsen behavior (especially in kids with autism and ADHD), preservatives, and poor quality essential oils are just some of the ingredients you may find in the bath bombs at your local stores.
On top of that, bath bombs can be very expensive to buy, but are super affordable and easy to make yourself!
When you are shopping for your ingredients, try to look for organic and all-natural choices whenever possible. If you want to color your bath bombs, stick to natural, food based dyes like these.
We like to add in some essential oils to our bath bombs. Calming the child, immune boom, and skin soother are my three favorite blends, and lavender, tea tree, and Roman chamomile are my favorite single essential oils for making these detox bath bombs for kids.
Recipe for Kid-Friendly Detox Bath Bombs
- 1/2 cup Epsom Salts
- 1/2 cup Citric Acid
- 1/2 cup Starch (Organic Cornstarch, Tapioca Starch (flour), or Arrowroot flour)
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
- Essential Oils
- Natural Food Coloring
- Add all of your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Melt your coconut oil, allowing it to return to room temperature but still remain completely liquid.
- Add your essential oils (I recommend 5-10 drops total) to your coconut oil.
- Slowly stir the oil mixture into your dry ingredients.
- Using gloved hands, begin to mix the bath bomb ingredients while slowly adding in 1-2 tbsp of water. Your goal is to achieve a wet sand consistency but without activating any fizzing.
- Now is the time to add in any colors you would like to use.
- This is an optional step, but I highly recommend lightly oiling your bath bomb molds using a tiny bit of coconut oil. This will prevent the bath bombs from sticking when it is time to remove them from the molds.
- Gently pack your mixture into bath bomb molds, being sure to press the ingredients tightly together.
- Leave your molds to dry overnight or for about 12 hours.
- Carefully remove the molds and leave for another 1-2 hours to let any remaining oil or moisture trapped in the molds to dry.
- Now, your bath bombs are ready to use!
Detox bath bombs for kids make an excellent addition to your little one’s nightly bath. They are also great as a loot bag gift for birthday parties, as a Halloween treat alternative, a non-candy Easter basket option, a fun gift idea for kids, or just as an everyday surprise for your little ones.
If you loved this recipe for Detox Bath Bombs for Kids, be sure to tell your friends by sharing it on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!